Learn about the home inspection courses and qualifications needed for certification and renewal in Alabama.
Requirements to Become an Alabama Home Inspector:
- Alabama home inspection education hours: 120 hours (effective March 15, 2020)
- Inspections: Participation in 35 home inspections (effective March 15, 2020)
- Exam required: ASHI and NHIE
- Application fee: $300
- Draft home inspection reports for 25 home inspections, 10 of which must be reviewed and corrected by a qualified home inspector (effective March 15, 2020)
- Applicant must meet one of four professional qualifications. See full details.
- Insurance requirements: Obtain bodily injury and property damage liability insurance covering the applicant’s home inspection operations in the sum of not less than $20,000 for injury or damage to property; $50,000 for injury or damage, including death, to any one person; $100,000 for injury or damage, including death, to more than one person; and $250,000 of errors and omissions coverage.
- Notarized application is required. Background check and fingerprints are not required.
Home Inspection License Expiration: 12/31 every year (filed by 10/1)
Home Inspection Continuing Education Requirements: No CE required for renewal