Learn about the Alabama education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Alabama Real Estate Commission (AREC)
Alabama Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Alabama real estate salesperson license: 60 hours
- Alabama real estate broker license: 60 hours
- Students in Alabama have 6 months to complete the 60 hours of education and pass the course exam
- Alabama requires an additional 30 hours post-license real estate cources
- Final exams: Your final course exam must be proctored for qualifying education
If you hold an original current license in another state, you may obtain a RECIPROCAL license by doing the following:
- Complete a six‐hour course in Alabama real estate law as specified in Rule 790‐X‐1‐.18
- Take and pass the corresponding Alabama portion of the licensing examination
- Submit with the application an official "Certificate of Licensure" form (license history) showing you hold a current license in another state. This certification can be obtained from the Real Estate Commission Office in that state. This certification must have been issued within 120 days of our receipt of your reciprocal license application.
- Exam candidates will receive an application for licensure at the test centers upon passage of the exam
Alabama Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal and Requirements:
- Sept 30 even years - education due, August 30 is renewal date
- Requirement is 15 hrs: 6 hours of Risk Management and 9 hours of electives