To become a California-licensed MLO you'll need to complete the required 20-hour NMLS S.A.F.E
pre-licensing course along with any additional course work required by either of California state
licensing agencies: The California Department of
Business Oversight (DBO) or The California Department of Real Estate (DRE) — formerly the California
Bureau of Real Estate (BRE).
NMLS SAFE Mortgage License Training - Required
All states require 20 hours of mortgage education from a NMLS approved mortgage school. If you're seeking
a new Mortgage License be sure to enroll in a comprehensive 20 Hour SAFE course in addition to your
state required education or sign-up
for a single course that satisfies all of the CA MLO requirements.
CA-DBO License Overview
The CA-DBO license is required for any mortgage loan originator employed by a DBO licensed lender or
broker. This applies to any mortgage lender governed by either California Finance Law (CFL) or thr
California Residential Mortgage Lending
- Your Employer must also be licensed by the CA-DBO.
- Easier license to achieve.
- Process residential mortgage loan applications or negotiate the terms of residential mortgage loans.
- Requires a Sponsorship from a DBO licensed Employer.
More information available on the DBO Website.
Find California (DBO) New License Courses
DRE License Overview
The California Department of Real Estate (DRE) issues MLO endorsements to licensed real estate agents.
Pursuing a DRE endorsed license will give you the most career flexibility, however, you will need to
complete and maintain the required
Real Estate education requirements.
- Requires a valid California Real Estate License.
- Requires additional Real Estate Education.
- Provides Greater Career Flexibility.
- Requires a Sponsorship from a DRE licensed Employer.
More information available on the DRE Website.
Find California (DRE) New License Courses