Pass Your California - DBO NMLS Mortgage License Exam
Test prep tools to help you become a California - DBO mortgage loan officer
Jump start your California - DBO mortgage license test prep tools. Our exam prep suites provide all the study materials — from flashcards to personalized learning — you need to pass the NMLS mortgage exam and become a licensed California mortgage loan officer.
Your Success is Our #1 Priority
OnCourse Learning empowers aspiring mortgage loan originators (MLOs) and seasoned mortgage loan officers to take their learning experience to the next level. Get and maintain your NMLS license with:
- NMLS approved mortgage pre-licensing, continuing education and late CE courses
- NMLS test prep tools to help you pass your NMLS license exam
- Over 20 years of mortgage education experience
We’ve helped over 300,000 mortgage brokers begin and advance their careers. Get started today!
Learn about the California (DBO) mortgage education requirements for mortgage licensing.
In the state of California, mortgage loan originators, under the Department of Business Oversight (DBO), are required to:
- Complete a Criminal Background Check (CBC).
- Authorize a credit report through the NMLS that demonstrates financial responsibility.
- Fulfill all state and federal education requirements as designated by your state agency.
- Take and pass the National Component.
- All applicants must apply for a license through the NMLS by filing a Form MU4 and receiving a sponsorship by a company holding a valid unique identifier with NMLS and which is licensed by the California Department of Business Oversight (formerly Department of Corporations).
- An applicant must demonstrate financial responsibility, character and general fitness such as to command the confidence of the community and to warrant a determination that the mortgage loan originator will operate honestly, fairly and efficiently.
- Coverage by a surety bond provided by the mortgage loan originator’s employer.
California (DBO) NMLS Pre-Licensing Education Requirements:
New state-licensed MLOs are required to complete 20 hours of NMLS-approved education. This includes:
- 3 hours of federal law
- 3 hours of ethics
- 2 hours of non-traditional mortgage lending training
- 10 hours of electives
- 2 hours of California state-specific education
California (DBO) Continuing Education Requirements:
State-licensed MLOs are required to complete 8 hours of NMLS-approved mortgage education annually beginning the year they are licensed (unless PE was completed in the same year). This includes:
- 3 hours of federal law
- 2 hours of ethics
- 2 hours of non-traditional mortgage lending
- 1 hour of California state-specific education
MLOs are advised that to comply with the SAFE Act’s “successive years” rule, they may not take the same CE course two years in a row.
California (DBO) Mortgage Licensing:
- California Department of Business Oversight
- Phone: 213-576-7565
- Website: www.dbo.ca.gov