Learn about the Virginia insurance education requirements for insurance licensing.
To qualify as a Virginia resident insurance agent, the licensing candidate must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Virginia Bureau of Insurance that the candidate is of good moral character and of good reputation.
- The candidate must submit a current criminal history report from the Virginia State Police
- The candidate must be a citizen of the United States or provide proof of eligibility to work in the country;
- Be a legal resident of the state of Virginia
- Pass the insurance examination for the line(s) of insurance in which the candidate is seeking a license
After passing the examination, the candidate must submit the following to the Bureau:
- An electronic application through the National Insurance Producer’s website: www.nipr.com
- A current (no more than 90 days old) Criminal History Report, which must be obtained through the Virginia State policy. If the candidate has resided in Virginia for less than six months, a Criminal History record from the candidate’s previous resident state.
- A non-refundable, nontransferable license application processing fee for each license type. The candidate does not have to provide proof of passing the examination.
Virginia law requires that the candidate must apply for and be issued an insurance license within 183 days of passing the examination. If the license is not applied for within the allotted time period, the candidate will have to retake the examination. For complete licensing procedures and to apply online, visit the Bureau’s website at www.scc.virginia.gov/boi
Virginia Insurance State Exam Information
Virginia insurance license applicants must pass a computerized license examination administered by Pearson VUE, a national testing firm. To schedule an exam date and time, you can call them toll-free at (800) 274-4957 or visit www.pearsonvue.com. You are encouraged to reserve your exam date at least three or four business days prior.
To schedule an exam, Pearson VUE will require the following:
- Personal information – legal name, address, phone, SSN, date of birth, and daytime telephone number
- Name of the examination(s)
- Preferred examination date and test center location
- Failing score report (if retaking an exam)
- Exam fees paid in full
For more information, click here to view Pearson VUE’s complete Licensing and Examination Information Booklet, which includes details of all licensing requirements, exam reservation guidelines, what to bring to the test, and a list of all Pearson VUE test center locations and hours of operation. Scheduled test dates vary widely by location.
Virginia Insurance Licensing FAQs
- Is OnCourse Learning’s program approved to satisfy the education requirements needed to become licensed as a Virginia Insurance Agent? OnCourse Learning’s Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep courses do not satisfy education requirements. Currently, prelicensing education is required for Title Insurance candidates only.
- How do OnCourse Learning’s Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep courses work? OnCourse Learning’s Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep courses are offered online for your convenience. Once enrolled, your Table of Contents will serve as your roadmap for working through the course. You will read lessons, complete PROactive exercises, listen to reviews, and take quizzes and practice exams. You will not receive a completion certificate as these courses are not required education.
- What do OnCourse Learning’s Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep courses include? OnCourse Learning online Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep courses include printable lessons, multi-media reviews, interactive exercises, quizzes and practice exams. All the tools you need to prepare for the state exam are included!
- Do I need to enroll in an exam prep course to prepare for my Virginia Insurance Agent licensing exam? OnCourse Learning’s Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep programs include everything you need to pass your state licensing exam but they are not required.
- Once I enroll, when can I start studying for my Virginia Insurance Agent license? Upon enrolling, you will have immediate access to your coursework. Simply log-in using your e-mail address and password and you can get started immediately. Best of all, you will have access to your course 24/7 and from any computer with an internet connection. You can work at home, at the office, wherever is the most convenient for you!
- What if I have questions once I enroll in the Virginia Insurance Agent Exam Prep course? OnCourse Learning’s attentive customer service staff and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST at 1-800-299-2207.
Virginia Insurance Licensing
For more information, please contact the Virginia State Corporation Commission―Bureau of Insurance at: