Pennsylvania Insurance License Requirements
Learn about the Pennsylvania insurance education requirements for insurance licensing.
To get an insurance license in Pennsylvania, you must satisfy these requirements:
- Complete the education requirements. You must complete 24 hours of prelicensing education credits. Of those 24 hours, you must have a minimum of 3 hours of ethics.
- Pass the Pennsylvania insurance license exam administered by PSI Exams. You may register for the exam prior to completing your required prelicense education but you must complete the education before you can sit for the exam. You will be required to bring your certificate of completion to the test center.
- Apply for your producer license. Immediately after you pass your exam, you may complete and submit your application electronically via Sircon using the kiosk at the exam center. The license application fees will be paid at the kiosk using a credit card. Sircon will electronically forward your application and all fees to the Department. The option to apply using a paper application is still available but will take more time to process. You can access the paper application on the Department's website.
- Submit fingerprints. You may pay fingerprinting fee to PSI at the time you register for the exam or when you arrive at the test center to take your exam. You will be fingerprinted by use of live scan technology immediately after successfully completing your examination. You will also need to submit a fee to the Department for processing your fingerprints.
After the Department has verified that you have passed the exam and that you have met all the standards for licensure, the Department will issue you your license. The license will list the line or lines of authority granted to you.
Pennsylvania Insurance State Exam Information:
Pennsylvania insurance license applicants must pass a computerized license examination administered by PSI, a national testing firm. To schedule an exam date and time, you can call them toll-free at 1-800-733-9267 or visit https://candidate.psiexams.com/. You are encouraged to reserve your exam date at least three or four business days prior.
To schedule an exam, PSI will require the following:
- Personal information – legal name, address, phone, SSN, date of birth
- Exam specifics – exam type, preferred date and test center location
- Failing score report (if retaking an exam)
- Exam fees paid in full
For more information, view PSI’s complete Licensing and Examination Information Booklet, which includes details of all licensing requirements, exam reservation guidelines, and a list of all PSI test center locations and hours of operation. Scheduled test dates vary widely by location.
Upon arriving at the test center, you’ll need to show two pieces of ID (one photo-bearing) and your prelicense education certificate to the test administrator. Then a brief online tutorial will familiarize you with the computerized testing system before you answer a series of multiple-choice questions.
At the end of your exam, your score will be shown on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The report indicates your overall score and grade including the percentage of questions answered correctly and whether you passed or failed.
Pennsylvania Insurance Licensing FAQs:
- Is OnCourse Learning’s program approved to satisfy the education requirements needed to become licensed as a Pennsylvania Insurance Agent? OnCourse Learning’s Pennsylvania Insurance programs are approved by the Pennsylvania Insurance Department to satisfy the education requirements to be licensed as a Pennsylvania Insurance Agent.
- What do OnCourse Learning’s Pennsylvania Insurance programs include? OnCourse Learning’s Pennsylvania Insurance programs include printable lessons, multi-media reviews, interactive exercises, quizzes and comprehensive exams. All the tools you need to prepare for the state exam are included!
- Do I need to enroll in an exam prep course to prepare for my Pennsylvania Insurance Agent licensing exam? OnCourse Learning’s Pennsylvania Insurance programs include everything you need to pass your state licensing exam.
- Once I enroll, when can I start studying for my Pennsylvania Insurance Agent license? Upon enrolling, you will have immediate access to your coursework. Simply log-in using your e-mail address and password and you can get started immediately. Best of all, you will have access to your course 24/7 and from any computer with an internet connection. You can work at home, at the office, wherever is the most convenient for you!
- What if I have questions once I enroll in the Pennsylvania Insurance program? OnCourse Learning’s attentive customer service staff and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST at 1-800-299-2207.
- Pennsylvania Insurance Continuing Education FAQs:
- Are OnCourse Learning’s continuing education courses approved to satisfy my Pennsylvania Insurance Producer continuing education requirements? Yes. OnCourse Learning’s Pennsylvania Insurance continuing education courses are approved to satisfy the education requirements to renew your Pennsylvania Insurance Producer license.
- Are there required courses if I want to sell or do sell annuities, long term care or flood insurance? Yes. There are additional courses required if you sell or wish to sell annuities, flood insurance or long-term care products. All states require licensees who sell flood insurance to complete a one-time course that is at least three hours in length. Several states require courses to represent annuity products and long-term care products.
- How do OnCourse Learning’s Pennsylvania Insurance continuing education courses work? OnCourse Learning’s approved Pennsylvania Insurance continuing education courses are offered online for your convenience. Once enrolled, your Table of Contents will serve as your roadmap for completing the course. You will be given access to lesson material, multimedia reviews, quizzes and a final exam. To demonstrate course completion, you will need to read the lesson material, pass all quizzes and pass the final exam.
- Will I receive a certificate of completion immediately after completing the coursework? Yes. Upon completion of all course elements, you will immediately receive your certificate of completion. You may access your certificate of completion at any time by logging into your account.
- Once I enroll, when can I access my Pennsylvania Insurance continuing education courses? Upon enrolling, you will have immediate access to your coursework. Simply log-in using your e-mail address and password and you can get started immediately. Best of all, you will have access to your course 24/7 and from any computer with an internet connection. You can work at home, at the office, wherever is the most convenient for you!
- What if I have questions once I enroll in the continuing education courses? OnCourse Learning’s attentive customer service staff and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST at 1-800-299-2207.
Pennsylvania Insurance Licensing: More Information
For more information, please contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department at:
- Pennsylvania Insurance Department 1326 Strawberry Square, Harrisburg, PA 17120
- Phone: 1-877-881-6388
- Website: http://www.insurance.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx