Learn about the Tennessee insurance education requirements for insurance licensing.
To get a permanent resident producer insurance agent license in Tennessee, you must:
- Obtain a Uniform Application for Resident Individual Insurance Producer License.
- Complete prelicensing education requirement for the line(s) of insurance you wish to be licensed. The hours of required education are:
- Tennessee Life Insurance: 20 hours
- Tennessee Accident & Health Insurance: 20 hours
- Tennessee Property Insurance: 20 hours
- Tennessee Casualty Insurance: 20 hours
- Schedule and pass an examination with Pearson VUE.
- Submit your application materials and filing fee at the test center when you sit for your state examination.
- Submit fingerprints. Requests for a fingerprint-based background check must be submitted using the Tennessee Applicant Processing Service. Fingerprint information can be found at the Department of Commerce and Insurance website.
You will be issued a license by the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance once you have passed the examination and the Department is satisfied that you have met all other licensing requirements. If you are issued a license, you can not engage in the business of insurance until you are contracted by an insurer.
Tennessee Insurance State Exam Information:
Tennessee insurance license applicants must pass a computerized license examination administered by Pearson VUE, a national testing firm. To schedule an exam date and time, you can call them toll-free at (800) 274-4957 or visit www.pearsonvue.com. You are encouraged to reserve your exam date at least three or four business days prior.
To schedule an exam, Pearson VUE will require the following:
- Personal information – legal name, address, phone, SSN, date of birth, and daytime telephone number
- Name of the examination(s)
- Preferred examination date and test center location
- Failing score report (if retaking an exam)
- Name and provider number of your education provider
- Course provider number
- Exam fees paid in full
For more information, click here to view Pearson VUE’s complete Licensing and Examination Information Booklet, which includes details of all licensing requirements, exam reservation guidelines, and a list of all Pearson VUE test center locations and hours of operation. Scheduled test dates vary widely by location.
On the day of your examination you must bring the following to the test center:
- Two forms of current signature identification, one of which must include a government-issued photo such as a driver's license or state ID
- A completed and signed Uniform Application, which must include a completed Prelicensing Education Proof of Completion
- The state application filing fee in the form of an insurance company check, certified check, cashier's check, or money order, made payable to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
- Candidates who pass all parts of the examination will receive a score report that reads "pass," and no numeric score will be reported. Candidates who fail one or more parts of the examination will receive a numeric score for each part they failed.
Tennessee Insurance Licensing FAQs:
- Is OnCourse Learning’s program approved to satisfy the education requirements needed to become licensed as a Tennessee Insurance Agent? OnCourse Learning’s Tennessee Insurance programs are approved by the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance to satisfy the education requirements to be licensed as a Tennessee Insurance Agent.
- What do OnCourse Learning’s Tennessee Insurance programs include? OnCourse Learning’s Tennessee Insurance programs include printable lessons, multi-media reviews, interactive exercises, quizzes and comprehensive exams. All the tools you need to prepare for the state exam are included!
- Do I need to enroll in an exam prep course to prepare for my Tennessee Insurance Agent licensing exam? OnCourse Learning’s Tennessee Insurance programs include everything you need to pass your state licensing exam.
- Once I enroll, when can I start studying for my Tennessee Insurance Agent license? Upon enrolling, you will have immediate access to your coursework. Simply log-in using your e-mail address and password and you can get started immediately. Best of all, you will have access to your course 24/7 and from any computer with an internet connection. You can work at home, at the office, wherever is the most convenient for you!
- What if I have questions once I enroll in the Tennessee Insurance program? OnCourse Learning’s attentive customer service staff and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST at 1-800-299-2207.
Tennessee Insurance Continuing Education FAQs:
- Are OnCourse Learning’s continuing education courses approved to satisfy my Tennessee Insurance Producer continuing education requirements? Yes. OnCourse Learning’s Tennessee Insurance Producer continuing education courses are approved by the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance to satisfy the education requirements to renew your Tennessee Insurance Producer license.
- Are there required courses if I want to sell or do sell annuities, long term care or flood insurance? Yes. There are additional courses required if you sell or wish to sell annuities, flood insurance or long-term care products. All states require licensees who sell flood insurance to complete a one-time course that is at least three hours in length. Several states require courses to represent annuity products and long-term care products.
- Where can I find more information on the requirements to renew my Tennessee insurance license? OnCourse Learning is a valuable resource for licensing information. View the “Rules and Regulations” section of our website, or contact your state agency for more information.
- How do OnCourse Learning’s Tennessee Insurance Producer continuing education courses work? OnCourse Learning’s approved Tennessee Insurance continuing education courses are offered online for your convenience. Once enrolled, your Table of Contents will serve as your roadmap for completing the course. You will be given access to lesson material, multimedia reviews, quizzes and a final exam. To demonstrate course completion, you will need to read the lesson material, pass all quizzes and pass the final exam.
- Will I receive a certificate of completion immediately after completing the coursework? Yes. Upon completion of all course elements, you will immediately receive your certificate of completion. You may access your certificate of completion at any time by logging into your account.
- Once I enroll, when can I access my Tennessee Insurance continuing education courses? Upon enrolling, you will have immediate access to your coursework. Simply log-in using your e-mail address and password and you can get started immediately. Best of all, you will have access to your course 24/7 and from any computer with an internet connection. You can work at home, at the office, wherever is the most convenient for you!
- What if I have questions once I enroll in the continuing education courses?
- OnCourse Learning’s attentive customer service staff and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST at 1-800-299-2207.
Tennessee Insurance Licensing: More Information
For more information, please contact the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance at:
- Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
- 500 James Robertson Parkway Davy Crockett Tower Nashville, TN 37243-0565
- Phone: 1-615-741-2241
- Website: https://www.tn.gov/commerce.html