District of Columbia Insurance License Requirements
Learn about the District of Columbia insurance education requirements for insurance licensing.
Individuals who wish to obtain an insurance license in the District of Columbia must:
- Make a reservation and pay examination fee. Make a reservation online or by phone with Pearson VUE for the Examination. When visiting the Pearson Vue website be sure to review their Candidate Handbook for all details pertaining to your exam.
- Go to the test center. Go to the test center on the day of the examination, bringing along all required materials (see Pearson Vue’s Candidate Handbook)
- Apply for a license. DISB Applications are processed electronically. Twenty-four (24) hours after passing the examination, apply electronically online at www.nipr.com for your insurance license. For any questions or information contact the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) at: Government of the District of Columbia (DISB) Attn: Professional Services Division 810 1st Street, NE Suite 701 Washington DC 20002 (202) 727-8000 www.disb.dc.gov
Implementation of Fingerprinting Requirements:
Effective Monday, August 9, 2010, any applicant who passes the examination to become a resident DC Insurance Producer, must submit to fingerprinting and a background check through the DC Metropolitan Police Department prior to being granted a license.
Additionally, every nonresident producer who becomes a resident producer on or after August 9, 2010, must also submit to fingerprinting and background checks.
District of Columbia Insurance State Exam Information:
Resident applicants must either take or pass an examination in the area for which they are applying or have had a like license/authority in another jurisdiction within 90 days of applying for a resident license. With the exception initial resident license for Bail Bonds authority, the licensing examination is administered by Pearson Vue, DISB’s contract vendor for testing.
To schedule an examination, please go to www.pearsonvue.com – you will be able to view and download their “Candidate Handbook” which outlines examination procedures such as:
- Exam Reservations
- Exam Day
- How to Prepare for the Exam
- Exam Content Outlines
- Test Center Locations and Available Exams
- Exam Fees
District of Columbia Insurance Licensing FAQs:
- What do OnCourse Learning’s District of Columbia Insurance programs include? OnCourse Learning’s online District of Columbia Insurance programs include printable lessons, multi-media reviews, interactive exercises, quizzes and comprehensive exams. All the tools you need to prepare for the state exam are included!
- Do I need to enroll in an exam prep course to prepare for my District of Columbia Insurance Agent licensing exam? OnCourse Learning’s District of Columbia Insurance programs include everything you need to pass your state licensing exam.
- Once I enroll, when can I start studying for my District of Columbia Insurance Agent license? Upon enrolling, you will have immediate access to your coursework. Simply log-in using your e-mail address and password and you can get started immediately. Best of all, you will have access to your course 24/7 and from any computer with an internet connection. You can work at home, at the office, wherever is the most convenient for you!
- What if I have questions once I enroll in the District of Columbia Insurance Agent training program? OnCourse Learning’s attentive customer service staff and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST at 1-800-299-2207.
District of Columbia Insurance Licensing:
For more information, please contact the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking at:
- Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking
- 810 First Street, NE, Suite 701 Washington, DC 20002
- Phone: 1-202-727-8000
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: disb.dc.gov