In order to become a licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in the state of New Jersey you’ll need to complete the following steps:
Request your personal NMLS account
The NMLS system is used to process MLO licensing requests for all 50 states, including New Jersey. Creating an account is a simple process that only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Visit the NMLS online registration portal to request an NMLS account.
- Select the Individual option
- If prompted, complete the security captcha and click next
- Provide the required information and submit your application
Complete Your New Jersey NMLS Pre-License Education
To become a licensed MLO in New Jersey, you'll need to complete the required 20-hour NMLS S.A.F.E pre-licensing course, which includes 4 hours of New Jersey- specific pre-licensure courses, along with any additional course work required by
the New Jersey state licensing agency: The New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance (DOBI).
Learn More about DOBI
NMLS SAFE Mortgage License Training - Required
All states require 20 hours of mortgage education from a NMLS approved mortgage school. If you're seeking a new Mortgage License be sure to enroll in a comprehensive 20 Hour SAFE course in addition to your state required education or sign-up
for a single course that satisfies all of the NJ MLO requirements.
Find New Jersey New License Courses
Pass the NMLS Mortgage Licensing Exam
Once you’ve completed your pre-license education, you’ll need to schedule an appointment to take either The National Test Component or The National Test Component with Uniform State Content through your NMLS account. In addition, you will
have to satisfy any additional testing required by either the NJ DOBI.
Related Post: How
to Take the NMLS Mortgage Loan Officer
SAFE MLO National Test Component
The SAFE MLO exam covers federal mortgage related laws, ethics, Mortgage loan originator activities, and general mortgage knowledge.
- 125 questions (115 scored)
- 190 minutes
- Cost $110
Uniform State Content
Although it's not required in New Jersey, you can still take and the UST portion of the exam, which covers:
Find New Jersey Exam Prep Courses
- State law and regulation definitions
- License law and regulation
Apply for your NMLS license
Once you completed the required pre-licensing courses and achieved passing scores on the National and any applicable state required tests, you will be able to apply for your mortgage loan originator license on the NMLS website.
To apply for your New Jersey MLO license:
- Login in to your NMLS account.
- Select the filing tab on the top of the screen.
- Select Individual if your applying as an individual.
- Click Request New/Update.
- If you’re directly responsible for the paying the filing fees, click continue.
- If you’re already employed with a mortgage company, your employer may handle this step for you. These fees are not refundable. Check with your employer before you proceed.
- Click Add to apply for your NJ license.
- Select the appropriate New Jersey License and click Next.
- Select the New Jersey Mortgage Loan Originator License and click Next.
- Verify that the information is correct and click Next.
- Read the final page carefully before proceeding. If the information is correct click Finish.
You’re now ready to finalize your application.
Apply For A License
Background Checks, Credit Check, and Fees
The SAFE act established licensing and registration standards for all Mortgage Loan Originators. In order to receive
your New Jersey MLO certification, you'll need to provide the following information and pay the associated fees:
|NJ DIBO Application
Create a Fieldprint account and register for an appointment.Click here to view NJ LiveScan Fingerprinting Process.
Criminal Background Check
Initiate a criminal background check through your NMLS account.
Authorize a credit report via your NMLS account.
In order to complete the final step in becoming a fully licensed New Jersey MLO your NMLS ID will need to be sponsored by a state licensed employer. This sponsorship tells the governing agencies that your employer will be supervising your
individual license. You can submit your sponsorship through your NMLS ID. Once your employer sponsorship is associated with your NMLS ID, you'll be ready to do business as an MLO in the state of New Jersey.
Your success is our #1 priority
OnCourse Learning empowers aspiring mortgage loan originators
loan officers to take their learning experience to the next level. Get and maintain your NMLS
- NMLS-approved mortgage pre-licensing, continuing education and late CE courses
- Exam prep tools to help you pass your NMLS license exam
- Over 50 years of mortgage education experience
- We’ve helped over 300,000 mortgage brokers begin and advance their careers.
"This was well
organized, wonderfully set up to give you ample opportunities to practice the information given
through exams, quizzes, discussion scenarios, and message board."