South Carolina BFI Mortgage Lending Continuing Education
Get started with your South Carolina - BFI mortgage loan officer CE online course today
Our NMLS-approved South Carolina-BFI mortgage loan originator (MLO) CE courses help you stay licensed and compliant and are specifically designed for South Carolina-BFI mortgage loan officers. We offer comprehensive and core courses as video or online self-paced.
Learn about the South Carolina (BFI) mortgage education requirements for mortgage licensing.
In the state of South Carolina (BFI), mortgage loan originators are required to:
- Complete a Criminal Background Check (CBC).
- Authorize a credit report through the NMLS.
- Fulfill all state and federal education requirements as designated by your state agency.
- Take and pass both National Component and South Carolina State Component Tests.
- Have attained the age of at least eighteen years of age.
- Work for a licensed mortgage lender (W2 employee).
- Have never had a loan originator license revoked in any governmental jurisdiction.
- Have not been convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, a felony in a domestic, foreign, or military court (1) during the ten-year period preceding the date of the application for licensing or (2) at any time, if the felony involved an act of fraud, dishonesty, breach of trust, or money laundering.
- Submission of an authorization to release.
South Carolina (BFI) NMLS Pre-Licensing Education Requirements:
New state-licensed MLOs are required to complete 20 hours of NMLS-approved education. This includes:
- 3 hours of federal law
- 3 hours of ethics
- 2 hours of non-traditional mortgage lending training
- 3 hours of South Carolina-specific law
- 9 hours of electives
South Carolina (BFI) Continuing Education Requirements:
State-licensed MLOs are required to complete 8 hours of NMLS-approved mortgage education annually beginning the year they are licensed (unless PE was completed in the same year). This includes:
- 3 hours of federal law
- 2 hours of ethics
- 2 hours of non-traditional mortgage lending
- 1 hour of South Carolina-specific law
MLOs are advised that to comply with the SAFE Act’s “successive years” rule, they may not take the same CE course two years in a row.
South Carolina (BFI) Mortgage Licensing:
- South Carolina Consumer Finance Division of the Board of Financial Institutions
- Phone: 803-734-2020
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: consumerfinance.sc.gov