How to Get Your Mortgage License in Utah
Shop Utah MLO Courses
How-To Licensing Guide
In order to become a licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in the state of Utah you’ll need to complete the following steps:
Request your personal NMLS account
The NMLS system is used to process MLO licensing requests for all 50 states, including Utah. Creating an account is a simple process that only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Visit the NMLS online registration portal to request an NMLS account.
- Select the Individual option
- If prompted, complete the security captcha and click next
- Provide the required information and submit your application
Complete Your Utah NMLS Pre-License Education
To become a Utah-licensed MLO you'll need to complete the required 20-hour NMLS S.A.F.E pre-licensing course along with any additional course work required by either of Utah state licensing agencies: The Utah Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) or The Utah Department of Real Estate (DRE).
NMLS SAFE Mortgage License Training - Required
All states require 20 hours of mortgage education from an NMLS approved mortgage school. If you are seeking a new mortgage license, be sure to enroll in the 20 hours SAFE course in addition to your state-specific education requirements.
UT-DFI License Overview
This license is required for any mortgage loan originator who, for compensation or in the expectation of compensation, takes a residential mortgage loan application or offers or negotiates a term of a residential mortgage loan.
Find Utah (DFI) New License Courses
UT-DRE License Overview
This license is required for an individual who, for compensation or the expectation of compensation, is licensed with the Utah Division of Real Estate to directly or indirectly solicit, render services related to the origination of, or transacts the business of a residential closed-end mortgage loan secured by a first lien or equivalent security interest on a one to four unit dwelling, supervised by a Lending Manager. In addition, 15 hours of UT-DRE approved pre-license education completed from a Utah-approved Mortgage Pre-Licensing School. Must be submitted directly to Utah DRE via email@example.com
Find Utah (DRE) New License Courses
Pass the NMLS Mortgage Licensing Exam
Once you've completed your pre-license education, you'll need to schedule an appointment to take the National Test Component with Uniform State Content through your NMLS account.
SAFE MLO National Test Component
The SAFE MLO exam covers federal mortgage related laws, ethics, Mortgage loan originator activities, and general mortgage knowledge. Effective 4/5/21, test details are as follows:
- 120 questions (115 scored)
- 190 minutes
- Cost $110
Uniform State Content (UST)
The UST portion of the exam covers:
- Regulatory authority, responsibilities and limitations
- Definitions and documents
- License law and regulation
UT-DFI Test Component
The UT-DFI requires applicants to satisfy one of the following three conditions:
- Passing results on both the National and Utah State components of the SAFE Test
- Passing results on both the National and Stand-alone UST components of the SAFE Test
- Passing results on the National Test Component with Uniform State Content
Find Utah (DFI) Exam Prep Courses
UT-DRE Test Component
The UT-DRE requires applicants to have passing results on the National Test Component with Uniform State Content
Find Utah (DRE) Exam Prep Courses
Apply for your NMLS license
Once you completed the required pre-licensing courses and achieved passing scores on the National and any applicable state required tests, you will be able to apply for your mortgage loan originator license on the NMLS website.
To apply for your Utah MLO license:
- Login in to your NMLS account.
- Select the filing tab on the top of the screen.
- Select Individual if your applying as an individual.
- Click Request New/Update.
- If you’re directly responsible for the paying the filing fees, click continue.
- If you’re already employed with a mortgage company, your employer may handle this step for you. These fees are not refundable. Check with your employer before you proceed.
- Click Add to apply for your UT license.
- Select the appropriate Utah License and click Next.
- Select the Utah Mortgage Loan Originator License and click Next.
- Verify that the information is correct and click Next.
- Read the final page carefully before proceeding. If the information is correct click Finish.
You’re now ready to finalize your application.
Apply For A License
Background Checks, Credit Check, and Fees
The SAFE act established licensing and registration standards for all Mortgage Loan Originators. In order to receive your Utah MLO certification, you'll need to provide the following information and pay the associated fees:
|DFI License Only
|DRE License Only
Create a Fieldprint account and register for an appointment.
Criminal Background Check
Initiate a criminal background check through your NMLS account.
Authorize a credit report via your NMLS account.
Explore Exam Prep Courses
In order to complete the final step in becoming a fully licensed Utah MLO your NMLS ID will need to be sponsored by a state licensed employer. This sponsorship tells the governing agencies that your employer will be supervising your individual license. You can submit your sponsorship through your NMLS ID. Once your employer sponsorship is associated with your NMLS ID, you'll be ready to do business as an MLO in the state of Utah.
UT-DRE offers an “Approved-Inactive” license status. If you are not currently employed by a mortgage company (or your employer has not yet requested sponsorship on your behalf) and you have completed all requirements for this license, the license may be issued as “Approved-Inactive” until sponsorship by a mortgage company is acquired. While in an “Approved-Inactive” status, you are NOT authorized to conduct business under the authority of the UT-DRE Mortgage Loan Originator License.
A sponsorship by a UT-DFI Residential First Mortgage Notification company is not required for a UT-DFI Mortgage Loan Originator License.
Your success is our #1 priority
OnCourse Learning empowers aspiring mortgage loan originators and seasoned mortgage loan officers to take their learning experience to the next level. Get and maintain your NMLS license with:
- NMLS-approved mortgage pre-licensing, continuing education and late CE courses
- Exam prep tools to help you pass your NMLS license exam
- Over 50 years of mortgage education experience
- We’ve helped over 300,000 mortgage brokers begin and advance their careers.
"This was well organized, wonderfully set up to give you ample opportunities to practice the information given through exams, quizzes, discussion scenarios, and message board."Gianna G.