In order to become a licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in the state of Washington you’ll need to complete the following steps:
Request your personal NMLS account
The NMLS system is used to process MLO licensing requests for all 50 states, including Washington. Creating an account is a simple process that only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Visit the NMLS online registration portal to request an NMLS account.
- Select the Individual option
- If prompted, complete the security captcha and click next
- Provide the required information and submit your application
Complete Your Washington NMLS Pre-License Education
To become a Washington-licensed MLO you'll need to complete the required 22-hour NMLS S.A.F.E pre-licensing course, including 4 hours covering Washington law, along with any additional course work required by either of Washington state licensing
agencies: The Washington Department of Financial Institutions (DFI).
NMLS SAFE Mortgage License Training - Required
All states require 20 hours of mortgage education from an NMLS approved mortgage school. If you are seeking a new mortgage license, be sure to enroll in the 20 hours SAFE course in addition to your state-specific education requirements.
Find Washington New License Courses
Pass the NMLS Mortgage licensing exam
Once you've completed your pre-license education, you'll need to schedule an appointment to
take the National Test Component with Uniform State Content through
your NMLS account.
SAFE MLO National Test Component
The SAFE MLO exam covers federal mortgage related laws, ethics, Mortgage loan originator activities, and general mortgage knowledge. Effective 4/5/21, test details are as follows:
- 120 questions (115 scored)
- 190 minutes
- Cost $110
Uniform State Content (UST)
The UST portion of the exam covers:
- Regulatory authority, responsibilities and limitations
- Definitions and documents
- License law and regulation
Washington Department of Financial Institutions
WA requires at least 20 hours of pre-license education and meet one of the three conditions listed below:
Find Washington Exam Prep Courses
- Passing results on both the National and Washington State components of the SAFE Test, or
- Passing results on both the National and Stand-alone UST components of the SAFE Test, or
- Passing results on the National Test Component with Uniform State Content
Apply for your NMLS license
Once you completed the required pre-licensing courses and achieved passing scores on the National and any applicable state required tests, you will be able to apply for your mortgage loan originator license on the NMLS website.
To apply for your Washington MLO license:
- Login in to your NMLS account.
- Select the filing tab on the top of the screen.
- Select Individual if your applying as an individual.
- Click Request New/Update.
- If you’re directly responsible for the paying the filing fees, click continue.
- If you’re already employed with a mortgage company, your employer may handle this step for you. These fees are not refundable. Check with your employer before you proceed.
- Click Add to apply for your WA license.
- Select the appropriate Washington License and click Next.
- Select the Washington Mortgage Loan Originator License and click Next.
- Verify that the information is correct and click Next.
- Read the final page carefully before proceeding. If the information is correct click Finish.
You’re now ready to finalize your application.
Apply For A License
Background Checks, Credit Check, and Fees
In order to complete the final step in becoming a fully licensed Washington MLO your NMLS ID will need to be sponsored by a state licensed employer. This sponsorship tells the governing agencies that your employer will be supervising your
individual license. You can submit your sponsorship through your NMLS ID. Once your employer sponsorship is associated with your NMLS ID, you'll be ready to do business as an MLO in the state of Washington.
Your success is our #1 priority
OnCourse Learning empowers aspiring mortgage loan originators
loan officers to take their learning experience to the next level. Get and maintain your NMLS
- NMLS-approved mortgage pre-licensing, continuing education and late CE courses
- Exam prep tools to help you pass your NMLS license exam
- Over 50 years of mortgage education experience
- We’ve helped over 300,000 mortgage brokers begin and advance their careers.
"This was well
organized, wonderfully set up to give you ample opportunities to practice the information given
through exams, quizzes, discussion scenarios, and message board."