Free webinars hosted by OnCourse Learning provide survival tips, CE credits for professionals
BROOKFIELD, Wis. — Active shooter incidents are unfortunately becoming more common in the United States, with 50 total shootings in 2016 and 2017 alone, according to a 2018 report by the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Center at Texas State University and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of Justice.
The tragic active shooter event at the Mandalay Bay Casino in Las Vegas in October 2017 and a shooting at UAB Hospital-Highlands in Birmingham, Ala., in March 2018 demonstrate the need for education on how employees might quickly respond to and survive such events.
Active shooter webinar details
OnCourse Learning is hosting two free webinars July 25 on handling such active shooter incidents to provide survival tips for gaming and healthcare audiences.
Casino and gaming commission management can register for the 1 p.m. CT webinar, “What Gaming Professionals Need to Know to Survive an Active Shooter Situation,” co-hosted by OnCourse Learning Financial Services and AmericanChecked, an OnCourse Learning partner.
Healthcare professionals are invited to register for the 3 p.m. CT webinar, “Active Shooter Training for Healthcare Professionals: What You Need to Know,” hosted by OnCourse Learning Healthcare. Nurses, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, physicians, physician assistants, EMTs and paramedics who attend the webinar in its entirety, complete the post-test with a passing score of at least 75% and finish the evaluation survey will earn CE credit.
What attendees can learn
Webinar attendees will acquire knowledge of how to:
- Identify the characteristics of active shooter situations
- Develop a mindset of action and survival during active shooter incidents
- Create an emergency action plan
- Take appropriate actions during an active shooter incident
- Interact with law enforcement and first responders
Presenters of the webinars are:
- David Vialpando, director of gaming programs for OnCourse Learning Financial Services, whose law enforcement background includes service as a police officer and as a special agent with the California Department of Justice, Bureau of Gambling Control and Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement.
- Les Stanley, executive director of the Rincon Gaming Commission, who began his tribal regulation gaming career in 1995 after leaving law enforcement.
- Eddie Ilko, Security Claims Manager for Sycuan Casino, who became well versed with casino and tribal businesses as a risk and safety manager for Pala Casino. There, he led security, threat assessment and active shooter training.
- Andrew Hofstetter, chairman of the Tribal Game Protection Network, who is currently employed by BlueBird, CPAs.
“We hope that those attending the webinar will share the material with their co-workers, family members and friends to help everyone develop a personal critical incident response plan for surviving these traumatic, yet all-too-frequent events,” Vialpando said.
Reserve your seat
To reserve a spot for the live event for gaming professionals, visit our webinar sign-up page.
To reserve a seat for the live event geared toward healthcare professionals, visit this webinar sign-up page.
OnCourse Learning Financial Services offers casino training programs including online casino training, BSA/AML, Title 31, OSHA, Know Your Customer and active shooter training.
For media inquiries, contact:
Deborah Filipek, Media Relations Manager
About OnCourse Learning
OnCourse Learning delivers licensure, regulatory and compliance education solutions throughout the nation’s leading industries including financial services, healthcare and real estate. Through trusted industry expertise, compliance management and technology solutions, OnCourse Learning focuses on advancing the e-learning environment for individuals and businesses to help to build new careers, empower employees through knowledge and identify efficiencies in corporate training management. OnCourse Learning offers a full suite of educational products including state and federally approved prelicensing and continuing education programs, accredited course content, exam prep tools, publications, e-books, events and a sophisticated and customizable learning management system and course-authoring tool. To learn more, visit OnCourseLearning.com.