March 29, 2018
BROOKFIELD, Wis. — New York residents wanting a career as a property appraiser no longer have to leave home or dash from work to take appraiser qualifying courses in a classroom thanks to new statewide education requirement changes.
The Assistant and Licensed Level required property appraiser education can now be taken online with OnCourse Learning Real Estate, which was the first online education provider to receive approval from the New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services to sell online appraiser qualifying courses.
“The ability for students to get their appraiser qualifying education online versus in a classroom opens doors to a new career for many more individuals,” said Brian Sholly, executive vice president of real estate at OnCourse Learning. “Those living in rural areas where such courses are not readily available, working adults with busy schedules and those with children can now get their property appraisal qualifying education in the comfort of their own homes.”
Required appraiser qualifying courses
OnCourse Learning Real Estate now offers the following online self-paced appraisal qualifying courses:
- Basic Appraisal Principles – A 30-hour course to help students gain a foundation in appraisal principles. The course covers legal considerations, what influences the value of real estate, real property concepts and characteristics, principles of economics, ethical considerations, and highest and best use.
- Basic Appraisal Procedures – During this 30-hour curriculum, students will learn the three approaches used by appraisers to reach the opinion of value: income capitalization, sales comparison and cost. The course also reviews how to derive multipliers and rates.
- Residential Appraiser Site Valuation & Cost Approach – A 15-hour course that takes a step-by-step, deep dive into appraisal valuation concepts and cost approach applications.
- Residential Analysis and Highest and Best Use – This 15-hour course highlights the association between cost, income capitalization and sales comparison, highest and best use reasoning and analysis of the market.
- Residential and Report Writing and Case Studies – A hands-on constructive 15-hour course focused on learning how to create effective, well-formed reports for appraisals. Examples show students how to use narrative comment writing on form appraisal reports and how to explain the process and reasoning behind the valuation conclusions to those using the reports.
- Residential Sales Comparison and Income Approaches – A 30-hour course includes the use of appraisal comparison grids, tips on locating needed information and the pros and cons of using both the residential sales comparison and income approaches to appraisals.
OnCourse Learning offers all of the required appraiser qualifying courses online except the 15-hour USPAP portion of the coursework. OnCourse Learning is scheduled to make that course available soon.
OnCourse Learning Real Estate is a trusted source of training, licensing and continuing education. It has helped more than 650,000 real estate, appraisal and home inspection professionals begin and advance their careers through a blend of e-learning, instructor-led courses and textbooks. To learn more, please contact 800-532-7649, visit www.OnCourseLearning.com/Real-Estate, or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
For media inquiries, contact:
Deborah Filipek, Media Relations Manager
About OnCourse Learning
OnCourse Learning delivers licensure, regulatory and compliance education solutions throughout the nation’s leading industries including financial services, healthcare and real estate. Through trusted industry expertise, compliance management and technology solutions, OnCourse Learning focuses on advancing the e-learning environment for individuals and businesses to help to build new careers, empower employees through knowledge and identify efficiencies in corporate training management. OnCourse Learning offers a full suite of educational products including state and federally approved prelicensing and continuing education programs, accredited course content, exam prep tools, publications, e-books, events and a sophisticated and customizable learning management system and course-authoring tool. To learn more, visit OnCourseLearning.com.