Illinois Real Estate License Requirements
Learn about the Illinois education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal in your state.
Licensing Board/Commission: IDFPR Division of Real Estate (DRE)
Illinois Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Illinois real estate salesperson license: N/A
- Illinois real estate broker license: 90 hours, which includes the 75-hour Broker Pre-license Topics course and the 15-hour Interactive Broker Pre-license Applied Real Estate Principles course
- Illinois also requires 39 hours of post-license education for brokers, which includes one 15-hour classroom/distance education learning course and one 15-hour interactive course.
Illinois State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Currently Illinois has reciprocity with the following states under the Real Estate License Act of 2000: Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, Occupational and Professional Licensing Division, Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Georgia Real Estate Commission, Indiana Real Estate Commission (Broker reciprocity only), Iowa Real Estate Commission, Nebraska Real Estate Commission, South Dakota Real Estate Commission and Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing.
To qualify for an Illinois Real Estate Broker license under Category D, applicants must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Hold an active broker’s license, or equivalent by examination in a state that has a reciprocal agreement with the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Illinois Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate brokers in Illinois must renew their real estate licenses by April 30 of even-numbered years
- Managing brokers in Illinois must renew their real estate licenses by April 30 of odd-numbered years
- Illinois continuing education requirements: 12 hours of real estate CE classes -- 6 hours of electives and 6 hours of core courses
- Brokers renewing for the first time are required to take 30 hours of continuing education classes