How to Get a Real Estate License in Salem, Oregon
If you’ve ever thought about getting a real estate license, now is an excellent time to do so! This versatile career can be lucrative and exciting for those willing to put in the effort. But to get there, you’ll need to enroll in a school approved by the Oregon Real Estate Agency that offers the educational courses necessary to work as an active agent. OnCourse Learning has successfully helped thousands to earn their licenses.
Who Can Apply for a Salem Real Estate License?
There are a few things you should know about applying for a license within the city of Salem. Every state has different requirements you must comply with according to the laws and regulations specific to your state. To learn more about how to get a real estate license in Salem, you can always refer to the state’s official website here. For those wishing to acquire a license, the stipulations are as follows:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Have a highschool diploma, GED, or equivalent
If these prerequisites already apply to you, you’re ready to begin the application process.
Step-by-Step Path to Obtaining a Salem Real Estate License
Here are the six steps you’ll want to work through in order to get a real estate license in Salem. Once you have finished with these steps, the Oregon Real Estate Agency will issue you a broker’s license, allowing you to practice real estate activity under the guidance of a principal real estate broker. Here’s how to get a real estate license in Salem:
1) To start with, you’ll want to apply for an account with Salem's online license management website. This will get you into the Oregon state database system.
2) Within this system, you can apply for a broker’s license and pay the $300 non-refundable fee. You will then be issued an Applicant ID number via email.
3) Complete 150 hours of pre-license education courses. To do this, you’ll need to find real estate classes in Salem that the Oregon Real Estate Agency will approve of. OnCourse Learning is one such institution and does an exceptional job of helping prospective agents complete their credit hours. Our educational courses come in three package options. The most basic Silver Solution package offers classes on property management, real estate finance and law, and real estate contracts. With the purchase of this package, you’ll also receive materials to help you prepare for the license exam, including a national test review, test taking tips, and real estate flashcards.
The other two packages consist of additional exam prep and study tools, instructor support from industry experts, as well as technical and software support --a valuable addition for those wanting to go the extra mile!
To enroll, simply provide us with your full name and Applicant ID number. Order the package of your choice, and we will qualify you for clearance so you can take the broker’s license exam when the time comes.
4) Once you’ve put in all those study hours, you’re now ready to schedule your exam! You can schedule and pay for the exam here. Another good option is to call (833) 892-5441 to schedule a proctored exam with Psychological Services, Inc., or go online and click “Schedule My Test” at the top of the home page. The cost to take the exam is $75.00. You can learn more about the Oregon Real Estate exam here.
5) Now, it’s test time! This is when your hard work and all those hours of studying really pays off! Here are a few things to to about the exam:
- It consists of 80 national questions and 50 Oregon state-specific questions.
- You will be given 120 minutes to complete the national portion of the exam and 75 minutes to complete the state portion.
- You must pass both sections with a score of 75% or higher.
- You can expect to see questions about property ownership, valuation and market analysis, financing, and property disclosures.
6) On the same day that you take the Oregon real estate exam, you’ll also be fingerprinted and submit to a background check. Background clearances take about three weeks from the time it is administered. Completing this step is one way to prove that you are trustworthy and competent as a candidate.
7) Once your background check clears, you’ll need to find a licensed principal broker for whom you can work. He or she will add your pending license into the brokerage until the Agency completes a final review of your application. At that point, you will be notified through email of your final status. After clearing all of these hurdles, it’s time to celebrate the beginning of your new career!
As a real estate school authorized to offer real estate classes in Salem, OnCourse Learning is confident we can help you through every one of these steps so that you can obtain your real estate license and enjoy a successful career in this field.
License Renewal as an Oregon Real Estate Broker
Once you have received your real estate license and are approved to practice as a broker, Oregon requires you to keep an active status by renewing your credentials with another 30 hours in coursework every two years.The deadline for completing this education will be on the last date of your birth month, every two years. At OnCourse Learning, you’ll find some of the best real estate classes in Oregon. Our continuing education (CE) package includes:
- The mandatory 3 hour Oregon Law and Rule course
- Interactive courses designed by industry experts which offer engaging and relevant material.
- All the support you need to navigate this process as smoothly as possible
OnCourse Learning is your one-stop-shop when it comes to licensing in real estate. With fifty years of experience in the real estate industry, you can count on us to provide you with easy-to-use tools and great customer support.
Now that you know how to get a real estate license in Salem, OnCourse Learning can serve as your starting point to get you where you want to be: working as a successful real estate broker within your community. With the right help, you will get there!
Upgrading Your License as a Real Estate Broker in Salem
Often, those who pursue their real estate license decide later on to upgrade by becoming either a principal broker, home appraiser, or home inspector. OnCourse Learning can help inform you of the further steps you’ll need to take should you want to pursue this path. These options would require further coursework, infield work experience, and possibly obtaining your bachelor’s degree. Whichever route you choose, your success is our number one priority. Our courses are custom designed to help you navigate whatever real-world scenarios come your way within any of these fields. You’ll enjoy working at your own pace and relying on our support team to give you the ongoing direction and resources you need. If you’re looking to advance your real estate career, you’re in good company! Over 750,000 others have made the choice to depend on OnCourse Learning for all of their licensing needs.