Get Your Louisiana Real Estate Appraiser License
Become a Louisiana real estate appraiser with AQB-approved online appraisal courses
Basic Appraisal Principles
Basic Appraisal Procedures
2018-2019 15-Hour Equivalent USPAP Course
Complete with 75 hours of the new Associate Real Estate Appraiser Qualification Criteria for Louisiana, this package includes three courses: Basic Appraisal Principles, Basic Appraisal Procedures, and the 2018-2019 15-Hour Equivalent USPAP Course. Also included in this package is the USPAP Manual eBook.P.
The information contained below is designed to provide a summary of the minimum education, experience, and examination requirements established by the Louisiana Real Estate Appraisers Board. The information provided below can be found on the Board’s website. However, we recommend you contact the Board for more detailed information and for any changes which may have occurred.
Louisiana Appraisal Licensure Levels:
- Real Estate Appraiser Trainee
- Certified Residential Real Property Appraiser
- Certified General Real Property Appraiser
Louisiana Appraisal Licensure Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Must meet the educational requirement for the applying level of licensure
- Must meet the experience requirement for the applying level of licensure
- For Certified Residential level: A minimum of an Associates Degree OR 21 college semester hours in specific subject matters is also required.
- For Certified General level: A minimum of a Bachelors Degree OR 30 college semester hours in specific subject matters is also required.
- Satisfactory completion of the state examination (Real Estate Appraiser Trainees are not required to take a state exam)
- Submit application, required documents (including criminal background check), and associated fees.
Louisiana Appraisal Education Requirements:
- 75 hours for the Real Estate Appraiser Trainee which consist of the following courses: Basic Appraisal Principles (30 hours), Basic Appraisal Procedures (30 hours), 15 Hour National USPAP Course or its equivalent (15 hours)
- 200 Hours for the Certified Residential Appraiser which consist of the same 75 hours of Real Estate Appraiser Trainee education AND: Residential Market Analysis and Highest and Best Use (15 hours), Residential Appraiser Site Valuation and Cost Approach (15 hours), Residential Report Writing and Case Studies (15 Hours), Residential Sales Comparison and Income Approach (30 hours), Statistics, Modeling and Finance (15 hours), Advanced Residential Application and Case Studies (15 hours), Appraisal Subject Matter Electives (20 hours)
- 300 hours for the Certified General Appraiser which includes the same 200 hours for the Certified Residential Appraiser education AND: Income Property Appraisal (60 hours), General Appraiser Report Writing and Case Studies (10 hours), General Appraiser Market Analysis and Highest and Best Use (15 hours)
- Real Estate Appraiser Trainee – No experience requirement
- Certified Residential Appraiser – 2500 hours in no less than 30 months
- Certified General Appraiser – 3000 hours in no less than 30 months with at least 1500 hours of experience in non-residential appraisals
Louisiana Appraisal Continuing Education Requirements:
- Real Estate Appraisers are required to take 30 hours of CE every two years before the December 31st deadline of the year in which the license expires.
- Appraisers must complete a 7 hour National USPAP Update course during the renewal cycle
- All trainees who have been licensed in excess of two years are required to obtain continuing education that is equivalent to fifteen classroom hours of instruction for each year.