Virginia Real Estate License Requirements
Learn about the Virginia education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation - Virginia Real Estate Board
Virginia Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Virginia real estate salesperson license: 60 hours
- Virginia real estate broker license: 180 hours
- Virginia requires an additional 30 hours of post-license education for salespersons
Virginia State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
An individual who is currently licensed as a real estate salesperson or broker in another jurisdiction may obtain a Virginia real estate license by having passed a written examination deemed to be substantially equivalent to the Virginia examination.
Virginia Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in Virginia must renew their real estate licenses every two years in the month their licenses were received
- Licensees must complete 16 hours of real estate CE during this two-year period
- Of these hours, 8 hours must cover mandatory topics (ethics, agency, contracts, legal update and fair housing)
- Brokers must take an additional 8 hours of broker management courses