Are you ready to take the National Mortgage Exam?
The National Test with Uniform State Content is a rigorous mortgage licensing exam with a broad array of questions on specific topics related to mortgage activities. Its purpose is to ensure there exists minimum competency to practice in the mortgage field.
Adequate preparation including proper mortgage licensing courses and practice tests are recommended.
- 58% of students typically pass the NMLS exam on their first attempt.*
- 42% of students who fail on their first attempt pass on subsequent attempts.*
Here’s five steps to prepare for the mortgage exam:
- Establish an individual account in NMLS – Visit the NMLS Resource Center for information on how to create an account. You can also reference the create an individual account Quick Guide, which provides step-by-step instructions.
- Create and pay for a test enrollment window – After you have established an account on NMLS, you can create and pay for a test enrollment window. You cannot schedule a test appointment without creating and paying for a test enrollment first. For information on how to enroll for a test, refer to the Individual Test Enrollment Process for MLOs on the NMLS Resource Center.
- Schedule a test appointment – Once you have created a test enrollment, you are now ready to schedule your test appointment. Visit the Test Center Locations page on the NMLS Resource Center to select a test center that is convenient for you. Follow the instructions on the screen to make the appointment.
- Study for the test – Work with a mortgage training provider that has years of experience guiding aspiring mortgage professionals into rewarding careers with NMLS-approved online training and proven exam prep tools available in a variety of formats for every learning style.
- Take the test – Arrive at the test center 30 minutes before your appointment with a current government-issued ID that contains a photo and signature.
To learn more about the mortgage loan officer profession, explore the following professional development courses and career resources: