Once you’ve completed your pre-license education, you’ll need to schedule an appointment to take
The National Test Component or The National Test Component with Uniform
Content through your NMLS
account. In addition, you will have to satisfy any additional testing required by the TX OFR.
Related Post: How to Take the NMLS Mortgage Loan Officer
SAFE MLO National Test Component
The SAFE MLO exam covers federal mortgage related laws, ethics, Mortgage loan originator activities,
general mortgage knowledge.
- 125 questions (115 scored)
- 190 minutes
- Cost $110
Uniform State Content
Although it's not required in Texas, you can still take and the UST portion of the exam, which
- State law and regulation definitions
- License law and regulation
Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner
The TX-OCCC requires at least 20 hours of pre-license education and meet one of the three conditions
Find Texas (OCCC)
Exam Prep Courses
- Passing results on both the National and Texas State components of the SAFE Test
- Passing results on both the National and Stand-alone UST components of the SAFE Test
- Passing results on the National Test Component with Uniform State Content
Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending
The TX-SML requires the applicant to take at least 23 hours of pre-license education, 3 of which are
Texas-specific. The applicant must obtain a passing score on the National Test Component with
State Content and complied with 3 hours
of pre-licensing Texas specific education.
Find Texas (SML) Exam
Apply for your NMLS license
Once you completed the required pre-licensing courses and achieved passing scores on the National
any applicable state required tests, you will be able to apply for your mortgage loan originator
license on the NMLS website.
To apply for your Texas MLO license:
- Login in to your NMLS account.
- Select the filing tab on the top of the screen.
- Select Individual if your applying as an individual.
- Click Request New/Update.
- If you’re directly responsible for the paying the filing fees, click continue.
- If you’re already employed with a mortgage company, your employer may handle this step
you. These fees are not refundable. Check with your employer before you
- Click Add to apply for your TX license.
- Select the appropriate Texas License and click Next.
- Select the Texas Mortgage Loan Originator License and click Next.
- Verify that the information is correct and click Next.
- Read the final page carefully before proceeding. If the information is correct click
You’re now ready to finalize your application.
For A License
Background Checks, Credit Check, and Fees
The SAFE act established licensing and registration standards
all Mortgage Loan Originators. In order to receive
your Texas MLO certification, you'll need to provide the following information and pay the
||OCCC License Only
||SML License Only
Create a Fieldprint account and register for an appointment.
Criminal Background Check
Initiate a criminal background check through your NMLS account.
Authorize a credit report via your NMLS account.
In order to complete the final step in becoming a fully licensed Texas MLO your NMLS ID will need
be sponsored by a state licensed employer. Texas offers an “Approved-Inactive” license status.
means, if you are not currently employed
by a mortgage company or your employer has not requested sponsorship on your behalf, the license
be issued until sponsorship by a mortgage company is acquired.
This sponsorship tells the governing agencies that your employer will be supervising your
license. You can submit your sponsorship through your NMLS ID. Once your employer sponsorship is
associated with your NMLS ID, you'll
be ready to do business as an MLO in the state of Texas.