Get Your Mortgage License in Texas
How-To Licensing Guide
In order to become a licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in the state of Texas you’ll need to complete the following steps:
Your success is our #1 priority
OnCourse Learning empowers aspiring mortgage loan originators and seasoned mortgage loan officers to take their learning experience to the next level. Get and maintain your NMLS license with:
- NMLS-approved mortgage pre-licensing, continuing education and late CE courses
- Exam prep tools to help you pass your NMLS license exam
- Over 50 years of mortgage education experience
- We’ve helped over 300,000 mortgage brokers begin and advance their careers.
Request your personal NMLS account
The NMLS system is used to process MLO licensing requests for all 50 states, including Texas. Creating an account is a simple process that only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Visit the NMLS online registration portal to request an NMLS account.
- Select the Individual option
- If prompted, complete the security captcha and click next
- Provide the required information and submit your application
Complete Your Texas NMLS Pre-License Education
To become a Texas-licensed MLO you'll need to complete the required 20-hour NMLS S.A.F.E pre-licensing course along with any additional course work required by either of Texas state licensing agencies: The Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner or The Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending.
NMLS SAFE Mortgage License Training - Required
All states require 20 hours of mortgage education from a NMLS approved mortgage school. If you're seeking a new Mortgage License be sure to enroll in a comprehensive 20 Hour SAFE course in addition to your state required education or sign-up for a single course that satisfies all of the TX MLO requirements.
TX-OCCC License Overview
The TX-OCCC License is required for individuals who for compensation or gain or in the expectation of compensation or gain, take a residential mortgage loan application or offer or negotiates terms of a residential mortgage loan. This includes originators of liens on mobile homes or manufactured homes that are used as a residence.
Find Texas (OCCC) New License Courses
TX-SML License Overview
The TX-SML is required for an employee of any corporation, company, partnership, association, or sole proprietorship licensed or registered under Texas Finance Code Chapter 156 or Chapter 157 who takes a residential mortgage loan application or offers or negotiates terms of a residential mortgage.
Find Texas (SML) New License Courses
Pass the NMLS Mortgage licensing exam
Once you’ve completed your pre-license education, you’ll need to schedule an appointment to take either The National Test Component or The National Test Component with Uniform State Content through your NMLS account. In addition, you will have to satisfy any additional testing required by the TX OFR.
SAFE MLO National Test Component
The SAFE MLO exam covers federal mortgage related laws, ethics, Mortgage loan originator activities, and general mortgage knowledge.
- 125 questions (115 scored)
- 190 minutes
- Cost $110
Uniform State Content
Although it's not required in Texas, you can still take and the UST portion of the exam, which covers:
- State law and regulation definitions
- License law and regulation
Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner
The TX-OCCC requires at least 20 hours of pre-license education and meet one of the three conditions listed below:
- Passing results on both the National and Texas State components of the SAFE Test
- Passing results on both the National and Stand-alone UST components of the SAFE Test
- Passing results on the National Test Component with Uniform State Content
Find Texas (OCCC) Exam Prep Courses
Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending
The TX-SML requires the applicant to take at least 23 hours of pre-license education, 3 of which are Texas-specific. The applicant must obtain a passing score on the National Test Component with Uniform State Content and complied with 3 hours of pre-licensing Texas specific education.
Find Texas (SML) Exam Prep Courses
Apply for your NMLS license
Once you completed the required pre-licensing courses and achieved passing scores on the National and any applicable state required tests, you will be able to apply for your mortgage loan originator license on the NMLS website.
To apply for your Texas MLO license:
- Login in to your NMLS account.
- Select the filing tab on the top of the screen.
- Select Individual if your applying as an individual.
- Click Request New/Update.
- If you’re directly responsible for the paying the filing fees, click continue.
- If you’re already employed with a mortgage company, your employer may handle this step for you. These fees are not refundable. Check with your employer before you proceed.
- Click Add to apply for your TX license.
- Select the appropriate Texas License and click Next.
- Select the Texas Mortgage Loan Originator License and click Next.
- Verify that the information is correct and click Next.
- Read the final page carefully before proceeding. If the information is correct click Finish.
You’re now ready to finalize your application.
Apply For A License
Background Checks, Credit Check, and Fees
The SAFE act established licensing and registration standards for all Mortgage Loan Originators. In order to receive your Texas MLO certification, you'll need to provide the following information and pay the associated fees:
|TX-OCCC Application||$325||OCCC License Only|
|TX-SML Application||$190||SML License Only|
Create a Fieldprint account and register for an appointment.
Criminal Background Check
Initiate a criminal background check through your NMLS account.
Authorize a credit report via your NMLS account.
Explore Exam Prep Courses
In order to complete the final step in becoming a fully licensed Texas MLO your NMLS ID will need to be sponsored by a state licensed employer. Texas offers an “Approved-Inactive” license status. This means, if you are not currently employed by a mortgage company or your employer has not requested sponsorship on your behalf, the license may be issued until sponsorship by a mortgage company is acquired.
This sponsorship tells the governing agencies that your employer will be supervising your individual license. You can submit your sponsorship through your NMLS ID. Once your employer sponsorship is associated with your NMLS ID, you'll be ready to do business as an MLO in the state of Texas.